Below is some great advice that came from an Indiana Percussion Association email last season that we thought was worth passing along again to everyone:
IPA Contest Schedules
Schedules for IPA can be found on the IPA website.
Please remember that schedules are subject to change through the MONDAY prior to the event for minor adjustments.
Advice for new directors regarding schedules:
- When building your itinerary for the day, start with your warm up time and work backward
- Allow at least 1 hour between arrival at contest site and transit to warm up. This will allow your kids plenty of time to unload/assemble, dress, and feel relaxed going into warm up.
- Identify travel time to the site and add at least 20 minutes for the slower bus travel times. Look at traffic maps for any delays you might encounter.
- Give plenty of time post rehearsal for Pack/load at home.
- Have a plan for your students/chaperones if you are staying for critique. Many directors have communication with their chaperones that allow them to send kids home while directors stay for critique. If not, be prepared that your kids could be waiting at least an hour for you after awards to finish up critique. Not fun…
- Have a plan for when the chaperones let everyone know to call home because buses are close to home. This will hopefully save you from waiting around too long for someone to get picked up. Inform parents that simply because the buses are back, does not mean students are free to leave. Unpacking and clean-up may still need to occur before the child can go (this might encourage parents to come help so it is done faster!)
- Be sure that students know that post performance, your hallway spot may be given to another school and that all personal items might need to be carried or stored back on the bus. Be sure to ask the unit check in volunteers if you can stay in that location all day.
Once again, please contact Brooke Basso at firstname.lastname@example.org if there is a concern with the schedule.